Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Book Review - Bucky F&%@ing Dent by David Duchovny

Book Review

Bucky F&%@ing Dent

David Duchovny


I don’t know why I read this book, but I did enjoy it. I generally do not read novels, but #PersonalBookAdvisor brought this one home for me. It sat for a while, then I saw David Duchovny plugging it on the Late Show. After a dozen or so pages I put it down, thinking “I’ll never pick that up again.’ The next night ,20 pages and a yawn. This went on until I finished it and I did not regret the time spent.

Part of the attraction is hearing Duchovney’s sardonic voice in my head. There are enough bright spots of writing to keep it moving along and interesting. Most of all, though, once I finished I realized there was a lot here. The story is about ambition thwarted by pride, potential done in (almost) by selfishness, and the redemption that comes from leaving history behind and getting on with what matters. And that’s only about the Red Sox pennant pursuit. Also, the inspiration of the story explained in the notes (go ahead, turn right to it) alone is worth the read.

If you are going to buy a book, go to your local independent bookstore. They can figure out what you want way better than an algorithm.

No comments:

Post a Comment